Founded during the reign of Louis XIV, the Royal Manufactury of mirror glass developed a revolutionary procedure that involved casting glass on a metal table. It opened its main production site in a small village in the northeastern part of France from which it took its name: Saint-Gobain.
In October 1665, Louis XIV signed the Patent Letter officially creating the Royal Manufactury of mirror glass, in Paris, one of the 25 royal manufactories founded that year.
The mirror glass works benefited not only from royal orders as soon as it opened for business, but also and even more so from the increasing popularity of mirrors among the general population. This and its monopoly on mirror glass making helped to ensure the Manufactury’s prosperity.
Confronted with the emergence of strong international competition, Saint-Gobain developed a large chemical business that supported the expansion of glass works outside of France. Glass was becoming a construction material in its own right with the growth of architecture combining steel and glass for large public buildings such as railway stations, exhibition centers, greenhouses, indoor food markets, covered walkways and department stores.
Since its first implantation in 1937, the history of Saint-Gobain in Brazil was marked by acquisitions, mergers, expansions and conquests of new markets. The Group actively participates in the development of the country and its population, providing for large infrastructure works, continuously investing in expansion and development and improving Brazilian's daily lives through products and solutions.
The new automotive market reinforced the development of the more traditional construction market, which was stimulated by the promotion of a light-filled architectural style that combined concrete and glass.
After World War II, the Group transformed once again through major mergers and acquisitions. The partnership with Pont-à-Mousson and the reorganization of the newly merged Group marked an important turning point. The following years were shaped by the emergence of great captains of industry, as well as by the Group’s entry into building materials distribution and intensified international expansion.
Throughout this century, the history of Saint-Gobain in Brazil was marked by acquisitions, mergers, expansions and conquests of new markets. The Group actively participates in the development of the country and its population, providing for large infrastructure works, continuously investing in expansion – and, consequently, employability and development – and providing improvements to peoples daily lives through products and solutions.
Saint-Gobain Group focuses its strategy on sustainable habitat and accelerates its international development.